The Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers is at the forefront of basic and applied research and it is recognized for its outstanding results in the domain of computer science and engineering and in the domain of automatic control systems.
Scientific research is carried out within research centers and research laboratories. Maintaining excellence in research is a top priority of the Faculty, scientific research being focused on national and international programs and projects. Addressing strategic areas such as computer science and engineering, advanced automation, new information technologies or control systems, the scientific research of the Faculty covers a wide range of topics with meaningful theoretical and practical results traceable to the research projects won within the frameworks of national and international competitions, in cooperative programs with prestigious national and multi-national companies, or scientific books, and a large number of research papers published in prestigious journals or presented at important conferences in the field.
The Faculty has a modern research infrastructure, top-class experimental laboratories with modern equipment, and it houses a High Performance Computing Center within the National Center for Information Technology. Some research laboratories were created as a result of the collaboration with research institutes and well-known companies, such as IBM, Intel, Cisco, Microsoft, Nokia, UTI, ASTI, and others.
Both undergraduate and postgraduate students can expect to benefit from all these facilities and be supervised by top-level researchers and academics who share their knowledge in a collegial environment. Students can participate in research contracts and have the opportunity to perform research internships either in the faculty research centers and laboratories, or in the high tech companies with which we collaborate.
National Center for Information Technology
The National Center for Information Technology (NCIT) is part of the POLITEHNICA University of Bucharest and it is led by the Department of Computers of the faculty. The mission of the Center is to promote advanced and inter-disciplinary research activities, to develop new paradigms of collaboration between research scientists in ICT and other domains, to develop the human potential by programs available for the students of the Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers (Master and PhD level), and to offer the Romanian academic and industrial communities local and remote access to powerful computing resources. NCIT carries on research through national and international projects in collaboration with similar centers and institutions from Romania and abroad. It has established partnerships with high-tech companies for which it facilitates innovation and technological transfer.
The National Center for Information Technology houses different research laboratories:
- EU-NCIT Cluster: Programming parallel computing systems: programming in MPI, OpenMP and hybrid mode, Cell Computing or batchqueue system for task submission; User support for the usage of the laboratory’s computing systems, software libraries and projects. https://cluster.grid.pub.ro/
- CoLaborator: Research activities in the domain of High Performance Computing (HPC); Advanced and interdisciplinary research through the use of high performance computing resources; HPC resource management, task scheduling and optimization techniques.
- Distributed Systems and Grid: Development of scalable, fault tolerant, high performance platforms for information gathering and visualization of tasks processing; Prototyping, monitoring and evaluating heterogeneous wireless sensor and actuator networks.
- Artificial Intelligence and Multi-Agent Systems: Multi-agent systems architectures, Coordination mechanisms, Automated negotiation, Agent learning; Self-organizing systems; Affective computing; Trust and reputation; Semantic web services, agents on the Web; http://aimas.cs.pub.ro/
- Ambient Intelligence: Development of intelligent environment, Context aware computing, Context aware services and processing, Human activity recognition. http://erric.eu/ambient-intelligence-lab
- Computer-Aided Collaborative Knowledge Construction: Collaborative software used to support and analyze work in virtual teams; Usage of instant messaging, discussion forums, wikis, folksonomies, social networks, and the Semantic Web for collaborative knowledge construction and group creativity; Interdisciplinary research in natural language processing, text mining, ontologies, semantic web, and social networks.
- E-learning and Human-Computer Interaction: Collaborative and personalized e-learning systems, intelligent e-learning technology, mobile learning, mobile social media.
- Computer Graphics, Image processing and Virtual reality: Advanced real-time photorealistic rendering methods and algorithms; GPGPU and multi-GPGPU rendering techniques; Medical image processing; Volume data visualization; Computer animation; Virtual spaces with real time navigation and interaction for e-learning and e-science.
- e-Business (e-Business Academy) & e-Government: Research, development and learning activities in the field of e-services, particularly e-business, e-government, and m-services; Design of e-Government systems for the public sector.
Center for Research in Industrial Informatics, Materials Engineering and Robotics
- Real-time Control Systems: Microprocessor systems and systems with multiple processors; Signal processing in multiprocessor structures; Expert systems for real-time applications; e-Health and medical informatics; Network management, mobility in networks of computers; Highly parallel processing.
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics: Integrated manufacturing object oriented modeling, robot control; Artificial vision systems in robotics and flexible manufacturing; Neural networks and fuzzy control in robotics, quality control, sensor fusion in robotics, mobile robots, medical robotics, CAD in robotics; Services oriented architectures.
- Data Acquisition, Processing and Transmission: Data acquisition structures, primary data processing, sensor arrays; Data processing for transmission on disturbed channels, data compression; Medium access control, optimization of the information flow; Industrial communication, fieldbuses, communication protocols.
Center of Automation, Process Control and Computers
- Automation and Advanced Control Structures: Data acquisition and processing; Systems identification and control; Supervision, control decisions and process diagnosis; Informatics and communications for the industrial environment; CAD software; Real time control applications.
- Systems Modeling and Signal Processing: Signal processing; Systems modeling and simulation; Communication systems for the industrial environment.
Center of Intelligent Control and Bioengineering
- Intelligent hybrid systems and knowledge-based architectures, fuzzy techniques and neural networks, advanced architectures for autonomous and hybrid control systems.
- Predictive-adaptive control techniques for slow processes; Movement intelligent control in mobile robots and electric drives; Cooperative intelligent agents in robotics; Modeling and control of biologic processes; Relational and multimedia databases, instruments of information dissemination via Internet; Intelligent decision and diagnosis techniques in medicine.
Laboratory of Dynamical Systems: Control, Optimization and Numerical Algorithms
- Control: Multivariable linear, nonlinear, dead time, and singular systems; Robust control; Generalized Riccati and Popov theories; Differential games; Optimal H-2 and H-infinity control; Descriptor and generalized systems; Factorization techniques and matrix pencils; Safety-critical reconfiguration-systems.
- Optimization: Structured convex problems; Parallel and distributed methods for large/huge scale problems; Gradient methods with low complexity; Random coordinate descent, Newton and dual decomposition; Embedded control and optimization; Applications to distributed control of network systems, estimation in sensor networks, classification, signal processing.
- Numerical Algorithms: Numerical methods in automatics; Numerical methods for systems analysis and synthesis; Advanced signal processing; Semidefinite programming.
Platform of Advanced Control and New Information Technologies
CANTI –The interdisciplinary research platform of the faculty
- Applications of advanced control and of new information technologies in biology, medicine, transports, chemistry, life quality, linguistics, sociology, finance
- Interdisciplinary research with the participation of the faculty staff in cooperation with academics of Romania and other countries
- Development of master and doctoral programmes, in cooperation with European universities